Please pay 100 percent attention to the road ahead of you. Officer De La Cruz wants you to arrive at your destination safely.
There are so many ways be distracted while you drive. Texting is probably the number one reason for car accidents. Why is texting so bad? Texting while driving has become a huge risk factor because it employs all three forms of distracted driving. Here are the three most types of distracted driving that our city Police Officers observe.
Anything that takes one or both hands off the wheel:
- Eating or drinking
- Adjusting car settings
- Reaching for objects in the car, such as purses or wallets
When drivers take their eyes off the road. This includes in-vehicle distractions:
- Consulting a map or GPS device
- Staring at a roadside crash, major, attractions, billboards or pedestrians
Anything that takes your mind off of the road:
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on cell phones (not using hands-free devices)
- Allowing your mind to wander (day dream)
Stay safe and remember....."If you see something, say something."