Important information regarding closures and cancellations due to COVID-19.
In response to concerns regarding the spread of COVID-19 in North Texas, the City of The Colony is taking steps to minimize exposure in the community, which includes closing the Recreation Center, the Community/Senior Center, the Aquatic Park and all athletic complexes now through APRIL 22. These steps are not taken lightly and come following the issuance of a local Disaster Declaration by Denton County Judge Andy Eads.
- In compliance with the Denton County Disaster Declaration and Executive Order, starting at midnight on Wednesday, March 25, 2020, all playgrounds and park amenities in The Colony are CLOSED until further notice. This includes the Pawsome Playground dog park, the Wheel Zone bike and skate park, all basketball courts, tennis courts, pavilions, etc. Open space and trails (aside from the Shoreline Trail, which is closed due to flooding) remain usable so long as visitors adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- The Colony Recreation Center, The Colony Community/Senior Center, The Colony Aquatic Park and all athletic complexes (Five Star, Turner, N. Colony Baseball/Softball Complex, BB Owen Complex, Camey Soccer Complex, etc) are closed and all programs and activities are suspended until APRIL 22.
- Rentals of all Parks and Recreation facilities (indoor and outdoor) are cancelled until APRIL 22.
- Special events conducted by the Parks & Recreation Department have been suspended until April 30.
As we have from the beginning, we encourage our residents to follow public-health best practices regarding the spread of infectious diseases as outlined by Denton County Public Health and the CDC:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your mouth and nose to reduce the spread of germs
- Wash hands thoroughly and often
- Avoid touching your eyes nose and mouth.
- More information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/
Check back for updates or more information.