In response to concerns regarding the spread of COVID-19 in North Texas, the City of The Colony is taking steps to minimize exposure in the community, which includes closing some facilities now through the end of March.
These steps are not taken lightly and come following the issuance of a local Disaster Declaration by Denton County Judge Andy Eads. Closures will be reassessed at the end of March. Specifically:
- The Colony Community/Senior Center, The Colony Recreation Center and The Colony Aquatic Park are closed and all programs suspended. For more information, call 972-625-1106. More info on Parks & Recreation closures.
- The Colony Public Library is closed as of March 17 and all programs are suspended. However, a wealth of online resources remain available through TCPL’s digital offerings.
- Special events through the end of April are cancelled, including Movies in the Park (4/3 and 4/24); the Spring Eggstravaganza (4/9); and Up, Up and Away (5/2). The Coach Cox Kids Chase by the Lake is being postponed to a later date.
- Parks & trails will remain open as they are considered low-threat areas but pavilion rentals are suspended.
- The Colony Fire Department is cancelling all scheduled public education and public relation events to ensure adequate emergency preparedness and response capability through the end of the month. In addition, all fire department facilities are closed to walk-ins and visitors. If someone arrives to a fire station with a medical emergency, they are instructed to call 9-1-1 or use the public phone in the lobby at each fire station. The lobby areas are isolated from the main living quarters and remain open.
- All Board and Commission meetings (with the exception of The Colony City Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, Economic Development Corp. Board and Community Development Corp. Board) will be postponed. Residents are encouraged to watch public meetings online where applicable and submit citizens-input of public interest or regarding agenda items to The Colony City Secretary Tina Stewart at [email protected].
- The Colony Animal Services facility remains open during regular hours.
- City Hall is closed to the public as of March 17 but Customer Service staff remain available at the utility-billing drive-through window on the north side of the building during regular business hours. Customers can also access their accounts online.
- The Municipal Court customer-service windows remain open during regular business hours to those who would like to make a full payment, payment arrangements, or attempt to resolve their case. Payment options are also available online. However, all court dockets through March 31 will be cancelled. Anyone scheduled on those dockets will receive a notice from the court in regards to a new date that they will need to appear. If you have questions, contact the court at 972-624-2200.
- Permitting & Planning services will continue either electronically or by appointment only.
- The Colony Convention & Visitors Bureau facility is closed. However, CVB staff are available by phone or email, and will happily send out printed materials by mail upon request.
As we have from the beginning, we encourage our residents to follow public-health best practices regarding the spread of infectious diseases as outlined by Denton County Public Health and the CDC:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your mouth and nose to reduce the spread of germs
- Wash hands thoroughly and often
- Avoid touching your eyes nose and mouth.
More information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/