As the City continues its preventative control efforts to combat West Nile virus, ongoing mosquito trapping and testing is taking place on a weekly basis throughout the City.
This ongoing testing has resulted in a positive pool for West Nile mosquitoes in the following location:
- Ridgepointe subdivision: treatment area will include areas west of Main Street / east of Corps of Engineers property / south of Sarasota Drive / north of Cedar Ridge Court.
Click here for a map of the treatment area.
A truck-mounted adult mosquito treatment will be conducted in these areas for two consecutive nights (weather permitting), beginning Sunday, June 27, and concluding on Monday, June 28. If inclement weather prevents the treatments from taking place those nights, the treatments will take place the following night(s). The treatments will begin at approximately 9 p.m. If you live in close proximity to this area please plan to keep all people and pets indoors overnight, and cover any ponds or pet watering bowls.
The City will continue its proactive approach in prevention of mosquito-borne disease sources on public property. However, the best prevention for everyone in the community is through education and personal protection, especially for the elderly and those with health issues, by following the “4 Ds” listed below:
- Dress to protect: Wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Dusk, Daytime and Dawn: Protect yourself against mosquitoes anytime that you are outside.
- Defend: Wear insect repellent with DEET, Picaridin, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, or an effective alternative.
- Drain standing water: Eliminate any water that stands for longer than 5 days or treat water with larvicide according to the label.
Residents may go to the following websites for more information about West Nile virus:
For additional information regarding mosquitoes and the City’s mosquito treatment plan, contact Community Services Director Pam Nelson at 972-624-3958 or via email. If you notice standing water on private property, please contact The Colony Community Image Department at 972-624-3160.